Interim HIM Director Support
213-Bed acute care hospital in major metropolitan Mid-Western city.
The Director of HIM resigned on short notice to accept another position at a larger facility. Hospital management was aware of ongoing problems in the Department and sought immediate Interim help.
A seasoned Aquity interim HIM Director was assigned and placed onsite. Complete department workflow assessments were conducted while backlogs and operational barriers to success were identified and systematically eliminated.
The Aquity onsite Interim HIM Director achieved:
- Initial operational assessment identified a significant backlog in the scanning/indexing area, lack of an effective QA process in coding, and a morgue operating beyond their functional capacity.
- Skill sets and assignments of all staff members were evaluated. Role evolutions were put in place that successfully resolved all of the scanning/indexing backlogs without need for additional resources.
- Implemented internal coding team QA processes and trained/mentored the existing Coding Manager to conduct weekly team and individual coder performance assessments, with inpatient and outpatient team
members being evaluated on alternating weeks. Enhanced reporting details for management and ongoing educational skills development for targeted areas of concern.
- In this facility, HIM is responsible for completion of death certificates, thus the direct involvement of HIM in managing morgue workflow. Additional carts and storage racks were put in place to eliminate
operational bottlenecks and ensure ongoing efficient workflow.
- The hospital management team recognized the significant qualitative (staff morale, workflow efficiency, and reduced physician complaints) and quantitative (KPI) results and extended the engagement multiple
times as the search for an ideal replacement was conducted.