Eliminating Coding Backlogs
48-Bed rural acute care hospital with a four-bed ICU and eight-bed telemetry unit.
The facility had a sudden turnover of several coders and were unsuccessful in attracting qualified candidates to fill their on-site open coding positions. Reduced staff levels quickly resulted in a severe backlog and an extremely high DNFB of nearly $10 Million.
An AQuity coding manager remotely coordinated with the onsite HIM Director to conduct a backlog assessment and develop a plan of action. Together, they coordinated appropriate remote staff to eliminate the backlog and work with the onsite team to improve quality, process visibility, and overall reporting.
The AQuity remote coding support services team helped the client:
- The AQuity remote coding support services team helped the client:
- Successfully eliminated all backlog in under three weeks and reduced DNFB to client target level of less than three days
- Maintained DNFB target levels during successive remote support tier downs as direct staff replacements came onboard and up to speed
- Raised overall facility coding accuracy levels to above 97% through high quality remote support and mentoring of onsite staff
- Mentor and cross train an existing coder to proficiently code inpatient cases in addition to their previously assigned outpatient workload
- Aquity Solutions team continues to assist on a PRN basis during high volumes, increased discharges, FMLA and/or other short-term staffing stresses to ensure cost effective management and control of their DNFB