48-Bed rural acute care hospital with a four-bed ICU and eight-bed telemetry
The facility had a sudden turnover of several coders and were unsuccessful in attracting qualified candidates to fill their on-site open coding positions. Reduced staff levels quickly resulted in a severe backlog and an extremely high DNFB.
An Aquity coding manager remotely coordinated with the onsite HIM Director to conduct a backlog assessment and develop a plan of action. Together, they coordinated appropriate remote staff to eliminate the backlog and work with the onsite team to improve quality, process visibility, and overall reporting.
The Aquity remote coding support services team accomplished:
- Successfully eliminated all backlog in under three weeks and reduced
DNFB to client target level of less than three days.
- Maintained DNFB target levels during successive remote support tier
downs as direct staff replacements came onboard and up to speed.
- Raised overall facility coding accuracy levels to above 97% through high
quality remote support and mentoring of onsite staff.
- While working with the on-site team, Aquity was able to mentor and
cross train one of the existing coders’ to proficiently code inpatient
cases in addition to their previously assigned outpatient workload.
- Aquity Solutions team continues to assist on a PRN basis during high
volumes, increased discharges, FMLA and/or other short-term staffing
stresses to ensure cost effective management and control of their DNFB.
To learn more about Aquity Solutions interim management, staff mentoring, and short term coding support services, contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.